Saturday, 29 June 2013

When god knocks on your door, how closely to you look at what he’s selling?



“I am no lover of disorder and doubt as such. Rather I fear to lose truth by the pretension to possess it already wholly.” ― William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience





So, you might be forgiven for wondering where a self-avowed atheist gets the presumption that he’s qualified to write about religious experience. Not religious history, nor philosophy, nor the relation of faith and science, but direct honest-to-goodness personal experience of the apparently divine. Never mind that the operating thesis of this blog is that the feelings invoked in religious contexts are a common heritage of human experience, and that there other targets for our feelings of awe, duty and belonging. Never mind that – even if the following weren’t the case – presumption is not something I’m lacking in. No, the reason I feel I have a little something to say on the subject is that I’m no stranger to ‘religious experience’.

I’m not saying I’ve had experience of religion, in the sense of attending ‘church’ and engaging in ritual, although I have that to. I mean a particular, arresting event that on first sight is difficult to process except in the context in which it presents itself: divinely, religiously, miraculously – whatever. Don’t worry - this isn’t a confession of regular visions of messiahood or anything. It’s a story of the kind of Weird Shit I’ve mentioned before, but that happened to me personally and on which I’ve spent a lot of thought. As I’ve said, while it would be wrong to say I was raised Buddhist I was raised around it, and there have been times when that kind of faith has been more appealing. Once upon one of these periods, in an instructional context at a Buddhist centre I decided I couldn’t follow the in-depth notes about a particular technique, so I decided to meditate and just do the visualisations being suggested. After a while, I found myself in what one might call, for the frustrating lack of a better term, an ‘altered state of perception’. The most superficial aspect, and most easily describable, is that all my sensations of touch – the feel of my clothes, the weight of my body, the feeling of a paper clip in my hand – were experienced as something akin to ‘pins and needles’. Paresthesia, if you will. Harder to explain is the sense in which I feel I could ‘see’ the thinness of the phenomenal world, like the screen of a shadow-puppet show. By ‘see’ I don’t mean to romanticise a new intellectual perspective. But nor do I mean the phenomena was merely, or even really, visual either. Enough to say, the experience – not unpleasant while it was occurring – knocked for me for six after I came back to earth, and had me mulling it over for quite some time. 

It might not sound like much, but I can’t stress the lasting effect it had on me. But then, if that’s the case, you might ask why this supposedly religious experience was not also a conversion experience. Certainly, at the time, the pull of more worldly delights was a strong disincentive. But, over the longer term, I have other reasons for viewing this experience as formative, but not definitive in terms of the way I see the world. My academic training provides me with plenty of science babble to nicely box this experience in such a way that I wouldn’t need to think more deeply about its implications – hypnosis, suggestion, hallucination. Such are the terms that safe ‘scepticism’ is usually couched in. That not why the reason you don’t see me in red robes today.

I recently listened to this podcast , ‘A sceptics guide to the mind’, which I heartily recommend. In summary, the guest speaker makes the observation that while feeling and sensations – happiness, recalling a memory, feeling certain – occur in our conscious minds (and/or brains); the process by which they come about isn’t available to us. When you construct a sentence in your native tongue, the words spring to mind and you don’t have to piece a sentence together piecemeal selecting a verb here, a preposition there. When you pick up a cup, the subjective you doesn’t compute the force, the velocity, the geometries required. It just happens. The speaker’s interesting point is that this is also true of feelings of certainty. I may have a sensation of unassailable logical certainty in regards to a proposition, but the certainty is a sensation of mine – produced by a process I have no access to – not a feature of the proposition.

It seems to me something similar hold for the feeling of religious awe, of the numinous, of divine presence. They are a feature of us, whether or not they’re an appropriate reaction to something or someone out there. We, in our heads, don’t know how they arise - we don’t have access to the process that brings them about. So lights, trumpets and warm cuddly feelings aside, one still has to decide for oneself what view of the world makes sense for – or of - them. In the marketplace of ideas, even when the ads are overwhelming, you still have to haggle. 

Photo by Agnonymous, some rights reserved.




Creative Commons LicenceThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

5 comments:

  1. Does the meditation and visualization you spoke about related to the Silva Method? If you belive just in meditation and in the positive thinking are you a religious or not? Just to know your opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the silva method is, could you give some more info? I 'believe' in meditation in same sense I 'believe' in prayer - its something that people do, that clearly has effects for them. It's like saying i 'believe' in socialising.

    I dont have a major thesis with the blog other than thinking over the similarities and differnces of these different systesm of thought that I see as arising out of common motivations and needs. I'm not saying athiests could learn a lot from religion. I'm not advocating atheised faith. I'm just discussing.

    Am I religious or not? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know what it is, now I live with a woman that practices this method, she has explained me that it's a form of meditation/visualization that improves your self image, helping thinking in a clear way. I was just wondering if that form of meditation could be called Religion. And yes I agree with you, if you just practice it like you practice sports, because it helps you, then it's not a form of religion. But if you belive that it helps due to something supernatural then it's a form of religion.I think it is very difficult to give a definition of what is or is not religion. Ultimately you could say it is a belief in something beyond human capabilities, it does not matter if this belief is then associated with practices and structures such as churches, congregations, etc.

      Delete
    2. I think it might be also involve a moral or value judgement on the metaphysical consequences of the belief, whatever it is. William James has a line about agreeing 'to', and agreeing 'with'. Accepting that the veiw suggested by some given faith is an actual description of the world as it is, is agreeing 'to'. Agreeing that world should be that way, that this is proper, is agreeing 'with'. I can agree to the 'fact' that a given practice like meditation, sans ritualistic trappings, has certain effects. Agreeing 'with' this, thinking that it should be that way is a seperate step, which I think may have something to do with the devision of 'religious' and 'not religious'. For example, if you look at 'solutions' to the Problem of Evil, in many cases they involve a moral aspect - suffering 'should' exist to purify, to test etc.

      Delete
  3. I just realising you may not have been asking me if i 'believed' in meditation. See what I meant about presumption?

    Religion is one of those words thats easy to define when it comes with all the trappings - ritual, a church, an elite. But I don't know that its a category with sharply defined borders. My feeling would be that if it imples something 'supernatural', and not just axioms or assumption but tenets you have to take on faith, then its religious. In which case, if meditation works for you, but you don't attach a metaphysical significance to that fact, then its not necessarily religion.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete